Welcome! Pull up a chair and chat with us about motherhood, being a business owner, favorite recipes and life in general!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Are you enough?

I am feeling more than overwhelmed. I have a million things I am supposed to be doing, but I wanted to take a minute and share something real quick.
I don't know if you still watch Oprah...I know a lot of her *fans* have fallen by the wayside in past years for various reason...I am still a fan. Although there are shows I could do without, I still think she sheds light on many important topics and gives them a platform and a voice.
Yesterday, Oprah had the author of Women, Food and God on her show, Geneen Roth. For those of you that didn't catch the show, I will try to sum it up in a nutshell. Oprah herself has had a very public struggle with weight her whole life as you will hear her admit often. Geneen Roth writes about people and their relationship with food, however, the ideas that she talks about in regards to food also applies easily to any other irrational behavior such as shopping too much, drinking too much, exercising too much, spending too much (i.e. living beyond your means) etc. She talks in her book about how a person's inability to feel as if they are a worthwhile, whole, beautiful person in and of themselves is where these types of problems stem from. For example, some people, if they are not at total peace with themselves in regards to who they are and if they do not know deep into their inner being how wonderful and magnificent they are, they will turn to food (or spending, or over excising, or drinking etc. etc.) A person who has any sort of internal struggle they are not able to face, whether it be lack of confidence, a desire to avoid or deny true feelings regarding a certain situation or situations in life will turn to food or any other sort of irrational behavior instead of dealing with it head on.
Until a person can be at complete peace with themselves, they will manifest irrational behaviors as mentioned to cover up their true feelings instead of just letting themselves feel those feelings and process and get over them. For example, although food may at times be something I turn to for comfort, it is not my only *drug* of choice. Sometimes my irrational behavior will manifest it in the form of a not so necessary purchase at target if I had a rough day with the kids or if I am conciously or subconsciously avoiding certain chores I should be doing etc. That is a not so serious example but you get the idea.
If you want to live a balanced, peaceful, complete and wonderful life, you must truly love yourself down to your inner core and accept and love all that you are. You must be comfortable in your own skin and be comfortable with the person you are and know that you are a wonderful and loveable person no matter your size, no matter your financial status, no matter your social status, no matter your relationship status, no matter any of that. Whether you have everything in the world or feel as if you have nothing, you must truly understand that you are a great person despite any of that, flaws and all.
The reason I wanted to share this is because most people that read this blog are women. They typically are people who originally met me through my Etsy shop who purchased hair accessories. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know many women all over the world. Banner Boutique has allowed me to meet and get to know quite a few women literally in every corner of the world. Over the last few years I have learned that we are all extremely similar. We all have very similar struggles. We all have struggled at one time or another with something in life, and we all continue to struggle with one thing or another throughout life. For me, that is what life is about. It is about having joy, but it is most definitely about being tried and tested. Often the joy comes when having conquered or survived a challenge or trial from which we are then able to learn from and become stronger from.
I want to tell any of you out there who might be struggling with one thing or another that you are beautiful, you are wonderful, you are whole and complete and lovable just as you are. You are all of those things no matter if you are overweight, underweight, financially secure or not, married to the greatest man on earth or divorced from the _____ man on earth, no matter your *status,* you are wonderful and worthy of everything God (or whomever you believe in) has to bless you with. I felt very compelled to write this tonight. I don't know if one of you out there needed to hear this, or ten of you, we all need to hear this and be reminded of this from time to time.
I have not yet read this book. The things Geneen spoke about are things I already truly believe. Although I struggle like anyone does from time to time, for the most part, I have somehow learned this for myself in life, and although I might need a little reminder here and there, I know for sure that just like each of you, I am a person worthy of love and I know without a shadow of a doubt that God loves me and I deserve to be loved just as I am. Whether I have a perfectly clean house or not, whether I had a week moment and lost my patience with my children or not, despite any of the things I may feel that I am lacking in, God loves me and wants me to just be be and do the very best I can. I can't take credit for already knowing this very strongly. It is the church I belong to and the gospel I know that is what has taught me these principles throughout my life. It is what has allowed me to learn about and now know my true worth. It is what allows me to feel at peace in my own skin even though I have flaws and even though I make mistake. I know that I am a valuable person, just as each of you are.
I bought this book at Costco today. I will let you know how it reads...I would love to hear if any of you read it or have read it and what you think.
Have a wonderful Friday!!

2 comments:

Geneen Roth said...

Dear Lindsay,

You moved me with your comments above, and I am sure many others. I look forward to you reading Women Food and God and hearing how it affects you. I hope that it eases your struggle. Knowing that we're not alone is such a healing balm.

Warmly,
Geneen Roth

Brian and Amber said...

Hi Lindsay!You and I have spoken several times by email. Our daughters were born only days apart. I love following your blog because of all the great info and cute stuff. This has hit home for me. I am going to the bookstore pronto to buy this. I can't believe I missed this on Oprah. Since having my sweet Abigail I am so dealing with the body image issue. I have 15lbs to lose to be back at pre pregnancy and the scale is not budging. Urgh... I also wanted to tell you about a ministry here in GA. It is called BE IN HEALTH. Check out the website beinhealth.com. They deal with the spiritual roots to disease and why we become sick. It is amazing!!! The book is called A MORE EXCELLENT WAY. I have a feeling this book will discuss the root behind why we eat and look at ourselves the way we do-SELF HATRED!!! Thanks for the recommendation.