Welcome! Pull up a chair and chat with us about motherhood, being a business owner, favorite recipes and life in general!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Aunt Jill's Famous/BEST Salsa Recipe EVER!!

photo via

I wish I had the time (and the talent) to make my salsa pictures look like the one above...sadly I do not.  However, I do have the BEST salsa recipe EVER...courtesy of my auntie Jill!  I promise you- this stuff is GOOD, and I would LOVE to hear back from you ladies (or men) who try it!!  Let me know what you think!!  If I could, I would send you each your own jar...because that's how special I know each of you are- but unfortunately that's not an option...so the next best thing is to share the secret recipe ;)
Here are some pictures of the actual ingredients I use...courtesy of my trusty iPhone!

You can buy your diced tomatoes plain, but I prefer the ones with some mild green chiles already added- in addtion to the chiles I add on my own.  I know some of you may think that using fresh tomatoes would be better...but I am here to say- I MUCH prefer using canned tomatoes- they have a more guarenteed fresh/yummy flavor.  You can't always count on your local grocery store to have the best tomatoes- however, if you can get your hands on some yummy homegrown ones, I'm sure those would be good too- I actually think I still prefer the canned though- just try it and you'll see!
When canned tomatos are on sale I like to stock up...I love having the ingrdients for this salsa always on hand- you would be surprised how much I use it!  I think this is what I'll be giving the neighbors for Christmas, to balance out all the sugar that the rest of the neighbors might be handing out ;)
Plain old yellow onions and cilantro
So here's the famous recipe:

3   14.5 ounce cans of diced tomatos
1 large white or yellow onion chopped
1/2  or 1 full bunch cilantro chopped
1 small can tomato sauce (7 oz)
1   7 oz can diced green chiles
1 teaspoon cumin
1-2 teaspoons garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Toss it all in your Cuisinart or blender and mix to desired consistancy.  I prefer mine moderately mixed, not too chunky, but definaitely not soup.

Feel free to change up the amounts on ANY of the ingredients.  Truly, you really cannot mess this recipe up- and everyone's taste varies slightly so experiement!

I like to put mine in canning jars of various sizes depending on what I'm using it for- and if I'm feeling like I'm in a giving mood, I like to send some over the back fence to my neighbor Mary and share some with whatever lucky Banner Boutique employees happen to be around ;)
Nothing makes a better meal then this salsa all over taco salad!
Last week I made Salsa Chicken (put frozen chicken breasts or tenderloins in the crock pot, cover with pace picate sauce and simmer for 4-6 hours until you can shred the chicken easily) then spread the chicken and cheese over some crunched up tortilla chips, covered with lettuce, diced tomato, cilantro, homemade salsa and guacamole (sometimes I add a tiny bit of ranch too)- DELISH!!

Stay tuned...because I have finally committed to being a regular, (close to) full time blogger for this poor, neglected Banner Boutique blog!  Instead of coming to this blog and seeing all the sales you might have missed from Banner Boutique, you will start seeing A LOT of fun things...like the new blog look thanks to the talented Catherine at Avalon Rose Designs!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!!! When you put it in the jars do you put it in a canner to heat and seal. If not how long does it stay fresh?

Swirls of Happy said...

Oh delicious!!!! MMMMMMMMM!! Thanks for sharing :)

Lindsay Banner said...

When I put it in the jars I don't seal it only because we eat it up right away...I would say it lasts for about a week, maybe 2. I'm sure you could heat seal it though to make it last many months/years- not sure exactly how that works though- I should look into it... ;)

rbowman said...

Thanks!!! I will ask around also. If I find out then I will share. The salsa looks great!!! Can't wait to make it. Great for football games coming up.

Anonymous said...

I would love to try this recipe too and if anyone finds out if it works to can the uncooked salsa I'd love to know!