Welcome! Pull up a chair and chat with us about motherhood, being a business owner, favorite recipes and life in general!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

on a lighter note...

 After yesterday's not so *happy* post, I thought we'd pick up the mood over here on this blog!  This picture (above) is one of the only pictures I have from the very first day we moved into our house here in Arizona.  It's blurry, but I still love it.  It shows how far we've come in three and a half short years.  We've doubled the number of kids we now have...and so much more!
Photography by www.JessicaDowneyPhoto.com
In one of the last posts I wrote before I went into pregnancy hibernation, I talked about a lot of changes that were on the horizon for our family.  At the time, I wasn't able to be too open about everything because a lot of the people involved didn't yet know their future.  At the time, Mike was managing part of the inside sales team for Pulte Homes.  He had been made aware that the entire department was going to be dissolved, meaning everyone would be losing their jobs by the end of the year.  Mike had been with Pulte for 8 years.  We had felt we were incredibly lucky to have been with Pulte for that long, especially since we had seen many friends within Pulte lose their jobs over the past 5 years.  We felt like we had been walking through a mine field, seeing casualty after casualty and somehow Mike's job had always been spared.  Not only had it been spared, he even managed to be the recipient of several promotions.  We were incredibly grateful...so when the news came that Mike's department was going to be dissolved, we felt like it was finally our turn, our turn to take a turn being unemployed, just like 75% of our friends had already done or were currently doing.

Mike was fortunate enough to be made aware of this situation well in advance, long before his actual termination date.  When he shared the news with me, I was surprised about how calm and peaceful I was about the whole situation.  With 3 children and one on the way, I expected my stress level to be a lot higher given the news, but both of us talked about how calm we felt, how we just knew everything would be OK.  We prayed daily about our situation, asking for guidance.  We felt like there were a LOT of options for us.  Mike has a lot of family in Idaho, so we pondered the idea of Idaho.  We both have a lot of family in southern California, so that idea was discussed as well.  We also discussed the possibility of both working for Banner Boutique, something we have often considered given how busy Banner Boutique has become.

While we pondered and prayed about each of these ideas over the several months leading up to Mike's termination, Mike diligently put his resume out there in each of the three states (Arizona, California and Idaho).  As the months went on, I started to realize I was actually very happy in Arizona.  I was content.  I loved the friends I have made.  I loved the neighbors we were surrounded by.  I love the church group we are a part of.  I love that we have been in the same house for almost 4 years, a record for us, and that house is really starting to feel like a home.  I also loved the idea of not moving while also giving birth to my fourth child and also not having to pack up my business and re establish it somewhere else.  I felt like I finally had my business to a great spot in life where I am as involved with it as I want to be, but I share the work of it all with many talented and wonderful women who help me run it.

In the end, I realized that for now, I wanted to stay here in Arizona.  I say for now because I have quickly learned in life (after 11 moves in 10 years of marriage) that you never know what life might bring and change is always around the corner, so even if I wanted to stay in Arizona for the rest of our lives, I need to always be open to and accept change.  I am always open to whatever is best for my family.  Luckily what was best for my family ended up being us staying right here in Arizona.

In my eyes, a true miracle took place.  Mike was able to find an even better job then what he currently had before he even finished at Pulte.  Not only did he find a new job, but it is somewhat of a *dream job* for him, a promotion he didn't expect would come for maybe a few more years.  He is thoroughly enjoying his new position and is flourishing as well!  We feel beyond blessed, we feel His love and blessings have been poured 10 fold into our family.

For these reasons, I feel so blessed, so content to be here in Arizona.  Yes, I miss being surrounded by my family in Southern California, how great it would be to have them all here, but in life, rarely do we get every single thing on our need AND want list!  As hard as it is to be away from family sometimes, I don't for one minute take the many blessings we enjoy for granted!  I am very aware that many people are struggling with un-employment right now or under employment.  How could I complain when I realize how lucky we have been!  I have made some life long friends here...we were meant to come here, and we're meant to be here too!  

3 comments:

Suzy-Q said...

We love you being here too. I don't know what I would of done without you. So I say yes you were meant to be here. Love ya!

Andrea said...

love this post, thank you for sharing your heart. you're right rarely do we get everything on the list all the time. but each of us have things to be thankful for an count our blessings

Lindsay Banner said...

thank you ladies!! :)